Independent Study Labor Doula
- working with laboring women
- interested in becoming a specialist in labor support and learning strategies to improve labor progress and enhance the birthing process
- who teaches childbirth education
- preparing to become a PCE certified labor doula (CD)
Course Requirements to receive CE credit:
- must complete required readings in the books provided,
- “The Birth Partner: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas and All Other Labor Companions, 4th Edition” by P. Simkin
- “The Nurturing Touch at Birth” by P. Perez
- “The Doula Business Guide: Creating a Successful MotherBaby Business” by P. Brennan
- must view videos provided by PCE
- must complete study modules within 6 months of receiving them
PCE supplies program manual, textbooks, videos and study modules.
This program covers relevant topics such as:
- The role of the doula and the impact on the birth experience
- The nurse’s role vs. the doula’s role
- Labor physiology
- Pain dimensions
- Comfort measures
- Non-pharmological pain management
- Dealing with labor dystocia, epidurals and difficult labors
- Labor support of the second stage
- Dealing with unexpected outcomes
- Setting up a labor support practices
Continuing Education Credit
Successful candidates receive 18 contact hours. “Provider is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 13154 for 18 contact hours.”
The independent study prep course is $325.00 which includes program book, textbooks, videos and study modules.
PCE Member Price: $305.00.
Please note: Prep course does not include certification exam.
Click here for Certification Examination information and fees.
3 or more people registered for same course:
$315.00 per person (discount only applies when preregistered and prepaid together).
Only one discount can be applied.
Refunds and Cancellations
No refund issued after course material sent.
Click here to download a registration form to register by mail.
Mail completed registration form to:
Prepared Childbirth Educators, Inc., 219 Central Avenue, Hatboro, PA 19040
Or email completed registration form and payment to PCE@childbirtheducation.org.
Completed registration forms and payment must be submitted together in order to be processed.