Independent Study Breastfeeding Counselor Prep Course: “Breastfeeding- Beyond the Basics”
- working with lactating women
- interested in obtaining accurate, evidence-based and current information about lactation management
- preparing to become a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC)
- preparing to become a PCE certified breastfeeding counselor (CBC)
- must complete required readings in the textbook provided by PCE, Core Curriculum for Lactation Consultant Practice, 3rd Edition (2013) by ILCA
- must view videos provided by PCE
- must complete study modules within 6 months of receiving them
In order to enroll in this course, candidates must submit a completed application along with the program fee. PCE supplies program manual, textbook, videos and study modules.
This program follows the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative outline and covers relevant, research-based topics such as:
- The role of the healthcare professional
- Anatomy and physiology of the breast
- Latch on and suck assessment
- Guidelines for the first week
- Nutritional needs of the nursing dyad
- Management of common problems
- Special needs such as prematurity, late preterm, multiples, cleft lip/palate, neurological problems, relactation
- Lactation aids
- Supporting and empowering women and their infants
Continuing Education Credits
As of January 1, 2016, successful candidates receive 19 contact hours. “Provider is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 13154 for 19 contact hours.”
The independent study prep course is $325.00 which includes program book, textbook and flash drive with videos and study modules.
Please note: Prep course does not include certification exam.
Certification exams can be taken in your area with your own proctor.
Click here for Certification Examination information and fees.
No refund issued after course material sent.
Click here to download a registration form to register by mail.
Mail completed registration form to:
Prepared Childbirth Educators, Inc., 219 Central Avenue, Hatboro, PA 19040.
Or email completed registration form and payment to PCE@childbirtheducation.org.
Completed registration forms and payment must be submitted together in order to be processed.